Grape and Cable, Northwood
Year(s) of Production: 1910-1918 Butler Bros Catalog
Pattern Description: Northwood's main grape pattern with a rope like cable circling the many shapes. Grape vines, leaves and grape clusters hang off this cable. Many variations exist including stippling and the addition of tendrils and other detail
Similar Patterns: Fenton Grape and Cable, Vintage
Shapes in Database: Banana Boat, Berry Set, Bonbon, Bowl, Breakfast Set, Butter Dish, Butter Dish Top, Candle Lamp, Candlestick, Centerpiece Bowl, Chop Plate, Cologne, Cologne No Stopper, Cologne Stopper, Compote, Cracker Jar, Cracker Jar Base, Cracker Jar Top, Creamer, Cup, Cup and Saucer, Dresser Set, Dresser Tray, Fernery, Fruit Bowl, Hat, Hatpin Holder, Humidor, Humidor Base, Lamp, Nappy, Pin Tray, Pitcher, Plate, Powder Jar, Powder Jar Bottom, Punch Bowl, Punch Bowl Base, Punch Bowl Top, Punch Set, Shade, Sherbet, Shot Glass, Spittoon, Spooner, Sugar, Sugar Base, Sugar Top, Sweetmeat, Sweetmeat Base, Sweetmeat Top, Table Set, Tumbler, Vase, Water Set, Whiskey Decanter, Whiskey Decanter No Stopper, Whiskey Set
Colors in Database*: Amber, Amethyst/Purple, Aqua Opal, Aqua Opal Butterscotch, Aqua Opal Pastel, Aqua/Marigold Overlay, Black Amethyst, Blue, Custard, Electric Blue, Emerald Green, Green, Horehound, Ice Blue, Ice Green, Lavender, Lime Green, Lime Green/Marigold Overlay, Marigold, Marigold on Moonstone, Olive Green, Pastel Marigold, Peach Opal, Purple, Renninger Blue, Sapphire Blue, Sapphire Blue/Marigold Overlay, Smoke, Smokey Lavender, White
*Not all colors are available in every shape.
About Northwood's Grape and Cable
This long running pattern with a cable that has grape vines, leaves and grape clusters hanging from it was made in the highest number of shapes in carnival glass. There are many molds that have variations on the pattern (stippled, additional leaves/tendrils, different back patterns) giving a collector a tremendous amount of choice. Many of the shapes came in a limited amount of colors, while others were made in a long list of colors.
This pattern is pictured in the 1910 Butler Bros Catalog and was advertised thru 1918.
Grape & Cable has been reissued by many companies and has fakes as well. (see fakegnc)
There are also some interesting whimsies and variants in the Grape and Cable pattern.
The reported shapes include:
- Banana Boats (see banana-nwoodgnc)
- Berry Sets (Including large bowls and sauces)[Two different types]
- Bonbons (see bonbons-nwoodgnc)
- Breakfast Sets & Table Sets (including Butter Dish/Creamer/Spooner/Sugar) (see bset-tset-nwoodgnc)
- Candle Lamps, Candlesticks (see lighting-nwoodgnc)
- Centerpiece Bowls (scroll footed) (see centerbowls-nwoodgnc)
- Compotes (see compote-nwoodgnc)
- Cracker Jars & Humidors (see cracker-humidor-nwoodgnc)
- Cup & Saucers (see cands-nwoodgnc)
- Dresser Sets (including Colognes, Dresser Trays, Hatpin Holders, Nappys, Pin Trays & Powder Jars)
- Ferneries (scroll footed) (see ferneries-nwoodgnc)
- Fruit Bowls (scroll footed) (see fruitbowls-nwoodgnc)
- Hats (see hats-nwoodgnc)
- Plates & Chop Plates
- Punch Bowl Sets (including Punch Bowl Top/Bottom/Cup) (see punchbowlsets-nwoodgnc)
- Sherbets(see sherbets-nwoodgnc)
- Sweetmeats(see candyjars-nwoodgnc)
- Water Sets (including Pitcher/Tumbler)
- Whimsies (including Lamp, Spittoon, Vase) (see whimsies-nwoodgnc)
- Whiskey Sets (including Decanter & Shot Glasses) (see whiskey-nwoodgnc)